Saturday, December 1, 2012

Recipe hits from November

I've been trying to keep a record of what our family eats for dinner each night for over a year. It's spotty record keeping at best, but I like the practice of it and it helps me to recall the hits and misses of each month. Occasionally, I'll look back and remember a recipe winner- one that everyone loved and thanked me copiously for making that night. That doesn't happen too often but when it does, I'm really happy for the practice of writing down the daily meal on this paper calendar.

I'm old school I guess. I still love holding a pen and writing lists on paper. 

Yes, I've downloaded organization apps and use grocery IQ. They work to a degree. I STILL forget things at the store. Often forgetting to even add it to the list! 

Still, nothing quite compares to a handwritten list, in my opinion.

So, in my quest for documenting the daily stuff- the whole reason I started my blogs- I want to look back each month on those recipe "winners"! Call me crazy but I like looking back to see what we were eating a year ago and how that compares to this year. It's funny how the same foods pop up around the same time of year (something about seasonal eating and comfort foods!).

Here are favorites from the past month....

November Hits

Bourbon Chicken: we called this Chinese chicken. The kids and Mr. Crafty loved it and so did I. Very easy to whip up and tastes fabulous with mushrooms mixed in as well. Sandra's recipes are so very good, do check out her site!

Marinated Pork Tenderloin: this was so incredibly delicious. Now, we have loved our amazing marinade pork for years upon years! But, Mr. Crafty said this was the best pork he had ever eaten. I didn't do the pan sauce that she listed. I just added it all to the pork while it cooked in the oven. It was really, really moist and delicious

Slow Cooked Beef and Potatoes: Another Fullbellies recipe that we all loved. This was better than the beef stew I made a few weeks prior. The kids really gobbled this one up. I didn't do the mashed potatoes like she has pictured but served them beside the beef and veggies (I made my mom's mashed potatoes for it).

While I'm talking about Sandra's website, I'll list this next recipe. The kids and Mr. Crafty did not like it but I loved it and thought it would be a great meal to take to a friend in need. The potatoes were my favorite part. We served this to friends who came over for a game night and I sent the leftovers home with them. They thought it was delicious, too!

Mexican Potato Casserole: taco seasoning added to cubed potatoes that you roast in the oven then top with a ground beef and green pepper mixture. Topped off with shredded cheese! It was easy to make, hearty and very good.

Panera mac n Cheese: made this twice already. Very rich and very creamy and I felt like it got better each day I reheated it! I added milk everytime I reheated it, too, by the way.

Asian Bok Choy Salad: this is from my MOPS cookbook. It's easy and crunchy and the kids liked it! I switched up the dressing and don't have a link as it's from a cookbook. Let me know if you'd like me to post this recipe!


All American Chili: this is my go-to chili recipe. The kids all ate it the first night and then, well, their palates changed the second time around. I even tried to serve it sonic style on hot dogs. no dice. they are so fickle. I just posted this recipe on the blog!



No comments:

Post a Comment