Friday, June 26, 2009

Oats 'n Honey Granola Pie ~ 6.26.09


Remember I told you I love to collect recipes?




Here's one from the Post-Gazette... in 2004! I believe it won some sort of Pillsbury Pie Crust contest as that is the type of pie crust listed in the ingredients. You could use the refrigerated version or make your own.


I've made this about half a dozen times already and absolutely love it! It's really quick to put together, too. This sweet little pie is similiar to a pecan pie (a lot of the same ingredients). The main difference being that you use crushed up Nature Valley Granola Bars. I know they have a granola cereal out now, so I bet you could use that instead.... I'd rather take out a little aggression and whack at them with a spoon. Feels really good! As I was typing this up, I realized that I've been reading the recipe wrong! I make it with 8 granola bars- 4 pkgs!!!! Ummm, it still works and still tastes really good, so there.




Oats 'n Honey Granola Pie


1 pie crust


Filling:

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup corn syrup
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs, lightly beaten
4 Nature Valley Oats 'n Honey Cruncy Granola Bars (2 pouches from 8.9 oz box), crushed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place pie crust in 9 inch glass pie pan (I've used a 10 inch and aluminum pan and it's been fine).

In lg microwavable bowl, melt butter on high for 50-60 seconds or until melted. Stir in brown sugar and corn syrup until blended. Beat in salt, vanilla, and eggs. Stir in crushed granola bars adn all remaining ingredients into brown sugar mixture, except whipped cream. Pour into pie crust.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until filling is set and crust is golden brown, covering crust edge with foil during last 15-20 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm, room temp. or chilled. Serve with whipped cream or ice c ream. Store in refrigerator.

NOTE: to easily crush granola bars, do not unwrap. Used handle of a spoon or rolling pin to whack 'em to smithereens!




3 comments:

  1. Oh my...this sounds so good. So good. I love granola and honey. This is going to be made in my kitchen with much haste! Yes ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say - that sounds so yummy! Guess what? You're one of the winners of free laundry detergent from my blog!! Just e-mail me your info and I'll send you the coupon. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your recipes! I left an award for you at my blog. please check out Day 187. http://myblessedlife-project365.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete