Monday, September 28, 2009

Farmer's Market Chili ~ 9.28.09

One of my favorite places to hunt down recipes has always been the newspaper. Funny though because I don't even subscribe! Yet, I know every Thursday, the food section will be in the Post Gazette and if I don't clip it from my parent's stash of papers (which they drop off to me so that I can recycle them at our school) then I can simply go online to find some inspiration.


This recipe appeared a several weeks back when zucchini were abundant and taking over everyone's garden. Unfortunately, by the time I got around to trying this recipe... zucchinis were non-existent at our farmer's market. Not even ONE zucchini was left to sell! I had to trek to the grocery store to buy mine, but it was well worth the price.

I've adapted this recipe that was submitted by Lori of McMurray, Pa and renamed it to make it more appealing to my very discriminating in-house critics (aka my children).

One of the ingredients to this Farmer's Market Chili -that I've only recently starting using in the past year or so -is this Adobo seasoning with pepper (I buy the red capped bottle).

It has appeared in at least a handful of my favorite recipes and I added it to this one as well. You'll be surprised how much you use it once you've tasted it! I promise to post my favorite Mushroom and Artichoke Pasta that incorporates this seasoning very soon- I've been craving it anyway.

You'll notice my chili sits atop a fluffy cloud of homemade mashed potatoes. I never ate chili any other way growing up and thought everyone else did the same, until I got married! The night I made this I offered the kids a choice of baked potatoes or mashed potatoes. They all chose baked! The best part was that 3 out of 4 of them gobbled this up and declared it "DELICIOUS!" I'll add this to the running list of "ways I got my kids to eat vegetables".

Farmer's Market Chili
2 Tbs canola/vegetable oil
2-3 onions, small, chopped
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Adobo seasoning with peppers, optional
1-2 Tbs chili powder- I used 1, but may go 1 1/2 next time
1/4 tsp dried basil- I opted for the frozen cubes of basil from Trader Joe's in my freezer
1/2 tsp cumin
2 cups zucchini, diced- I used a combo of summer squash and zucchini
3-4 carrots, peeled and diced
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes- I used crushed b/c that's what I had
1 15 oz can white beans- cannelini, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can water
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat and saute onion until soft and tender. Add carrots and saute until softened (I did not do this the first go of the recipe and it took the carrots FOREVER to tenderize- so I'll try this the next time). Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and let simmer 35 minutes. (I let my simmer much longer, as a good chili should) Taste and adjust the seasonings- I added more Adobo to mine.
If the chili is too thick for your preference, you can add a can of tomato sauce and a small amount of water towards the end of the cook time.
The original recipe says this yields 6 servings. I filled three yogurt quart containers!
Serve a la your favorite way to eat chili... mine is pictured up at the top!

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. We eat ours on spaghetti!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it!! i grew up thinking everyone ate their chili on mashed potatoes too.... until i married dan and he was like what r u doing. im happy to say hes a convert now! love chili and mashed potatoes on a cold day, cant wait to try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete