Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Highly recommend you get your hands on these ~3.31.10

I've been busy in the kitchen cooking little gems from these two publications. Cook's Country March 2010 is chock full of some amazingly delish recipes! I am hoping to make the majority of them and post about them, too! Hurry out and grab that Cook's Country, if you can! There are easily at least 10 recipes I've got on my "MAKE THIS" list! In fact, I could put together my whole Easter menu from that one issue. Fabulous!

We all know and love Ree, right? Her cookbook does not dissapoint. I received her it as a Christmas gift this past year. I have been enjoying her simple way of telling a recipe as well as the amazing photography and her gift of storytelling throughout the pages. I highly recommend you grab a copy for yourself- even though the recipes are on her site, this book is a great one to have on your shelf and on your kitchen counter!

Just this week I made the ham salad recipe from Cook's Country. Do yourself a favor if you're having ham for Easter-- save some for this recipe and add these things to your grocery list now: whole grain mustard, sweet pickle relish, mayo. All I needed was the mustard- a small jar of whole grain is all you'll need. Five ingredients total (I left out the pepper) and you're on your way to a simple, delicious lunch.
Last weekend, Miss Happy Heart and kids stopped over to play and eat! We made Ree's Pico de Gallo (I had never made this! gasp! what was I waiting for?) and Guacamole. My avocados were at perfect "guac stage" and we had ourselves a FEAST complete with diet cokes infused with lime. Perfection!

Guacamole is a simple simple treat to make. Everyone should eat avocadoes because they're good for you with heart healthy fats and that beautiful creamy green fruit. Oh Joy! I need more avocadoes in my kitchen! I've been buying them at Sam's lately at 3.98 for a bag of 5- what a steal!

Okay, so here's that ham salad recipe that won't disappoint.
You'll need some leftover ham- say about a cup and a half or so.
1/4 cup mayo
1 Tbs whole grain mustard
3 Tbs sweet pickle relish
1/2 tsp or several cranks of fresh ground pepper

1. Pulse your ham in the food processor about 10 times. Don't turn it into pate, just small shreds
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the "dressing" ingedients.
3. Add ham to mayo mixture and combine
4. Serve on whole grain bread or what we had: Club Crackers.
simple

1 comment:

  1. I could eat that guacamole till I'm green in the face! Literally! It was so delish!

    I get Cooks Country from Gram...I'll be keeping my eye open for that issue. I guess she'll be bringing it soon!

    And you know I love Ree's book!

    I think I'm going to try to make the guacamole myself since you so graciously taught me how to properly cut an avocado!

    ReplyDelete