Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Asian Pork Wraps ~ 3.2.11

I didn't cook at all in February.
Nah, just kidding. I just didn't have the time for blogging about any of it, I guess. I was kinda busy scrapping and cleaning up after sick children and doing LOTS of laundry. I wish we could skip that month sometimes, but then again, it's such a great month devoted to remembering to love those around us and share that love with others. So, I guess we'll keep it. I like having an even number of months in a year, too.

Oh right, this is a cooking blog or at least a blog where I share what I have cooked/baked/ate. So let's hop to that.

We're so lucky to have a fabulous blogger in the area who does all the dirty work of planning a week's worth of meals according to the certain Giant grocery store in our area. Last week, Kristin had a recipe for Asian Pork Wraps that I thought sounded interesting and worth a try. I also happened to have some pork in the freezer. I still had to buy hoisin and shitakes, but I was up for the adventure b/c it was a CROCKPOT kinda meal. I don't have many of those in rotation... should have more, I know. This was delicious according to 3 out of 6 of us. Oh my non-adventurous boys- just try it, you might like it!!

I think you'll love this recipe as it's easy to throw together and smells delish. It's also flexible- you could cook way more than the recipe says or in my case, way less. I used only a pound of a pork loin roast. It fed us for dinner (recall 3 barely ate any if at all) and I ate leftovers of it TWICE. Add a bag of frozen stir fry veggies, mandarin oranges or some shelled edamame to balance your meal!

 And when I ate those leftovers, I threw the pork over some of my favorite ramen noodles.
I find these in my little foodtopia (GEMarket District) in the Asian aisle. less sodium. I like that.

Whenever I'm serving something Chinese or Asian, I always buy fortune cookies for the us to have after dinner. We may not eat Chinese take out that often and it's a fun way to make dinner a little special! (and bonus, Aldi had a box of individually wrapped fortune cookies this week!)

Asian Pork Wrap
from Menus that Save

1 – 2 or 3 lb. boneless pork roast, or use 8-10 boneless chops depending on their thickness– OR – use 2 pork tenderloins
½ cup of Hoisin sauce
2 T. grated ginger - I keep mine in the freezer to use whenever I need it. grate it with your microplane
2 T. sherry
1 clove of garlic, minced
6 shiitake mushrooms
12 flour tortillas
2 t. sesame oil
4 cups of shredded cabbage
1 bunch of green onions, sliced (I forgot these)

Place pork roast in crock-pot. Combine 3 T. of hoisin sauce, ginger, sherry and garlic. Pour over the roast. Discard stems from mushrooms, chop remaining part and then cover the roast. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Remove pork from crock-pot. Stir cabbage into broth in the crock-pot. Heat to high setting, cover and cook an additional 5 minutes or until wilted. Shred pork with two forks and return to crock-pot.
Heat oven to 300˚. Brush tortillas with sesame oil and stack on a sheet of foil. Wrap the tortillas and heat the packet for 10 minutes.
To serve, spread each tortilla with remaining hoisin sauce, top with shredded pork mixture and green onions.

I piled some Kyoto blend Market Day veggies into my wrap!

Dip into this yummy sauce if you'd like (also great to serve this with pork lettuce wraps!)
Dipping Sauce – from PF Chang's

¼ cup of sugar
½ cup of water
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. rice wine vinegar
2 T. of ketchup
1/8 t. of sesame oil
1 T. of Hot mustard (optional – depending on your heat index)
1 – 2 t. of garlic and chili paste
Dissolve the sugar in the water by boiling the same. Set aside. Combine Soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup and sesame oil. Mix together the hot water and the hot mustard. Depending on your taste, you can add some of the mustard mixture with the soy mixture. You can also add the garlic and chili paste to the soy mixture. Keep adding various amounts to the soy sauce mixture until the taste suits you!

After I had put the kids to bed that night, I came downstairs to find a little note from one of my kids to me...
so fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment